Chris Brown allegedly “stole” $1 million fee after cancelling charity gig
The singer was accused of “pure theft” after failing to show up at a charity concert
Chris Brown has been accused of theft after allegedly taking a $1 million payment to play at a charity concert in Houston, Texas — to which he failed to show.
The event, which took place on March 19, 2022, at Toyota Center, was in aid of those affected by Hurricane Ida and Nicholas in Houston last year — a storm that resulted in the deaths of four people and countless homes destroyed.
LeJuan Bailey, the owner of DML Real Estate Investors and Construction and organiser of the benefit concert held in March, has said that her company booked the rapper to perform, but he failed to show up to the concert.
Read this next: Chris Brown investigated by police for allegedly hitting woman in LA
The businesswoman is now taking the rapper to court after Brown allegedly “refused” to send the money back, which equates to around $1.1 million (£900,000), according to Click2Houston.
“I acted in good faith and sponsored this concert out of love and respect for residents in need. I am appalled that Chris Brown refuses to refund my money for a show he did not appear to after we announced our show and sold tickets,” Bailey said on the case.
At the conference, where political and community activists joined Bailey, she added: “At this point, it is my humble belief that Chris Brown’s actions are parallel to pure theft.
Read this next: Chris Brown accused of drugging and raping woman in lawsuit
“He has the unmitigated gall to take my money, stand up the residents of Houston, then return to the city to perform on August 17, 2022. My message to Chris Brown: We will not sit back and allow you to disrespect the victims of Hurricane Ida and Nicholas in need.”
Chris Brown’s team has been approached for comment by multiple publications.
Gemma Ross is Mixmag's Editorial Assistant, follow her on Twitter