Watch Jeff Mills perform a rare live set in Washington DC
In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Apollo moon landing
Earlier this year in Washington DC, the Smithsonian celebrated the 50th anniversary of NASA's Apollo missions to the Moon with The Apollo 50 Festival. At a special afterparty for the event, Detroit techno pioneer and innovator Jeff Mills performed a special live set, and Mixmag was there to capture it.
Read this next: Jeff Mills: A science fiction story that's constantly unfolding
Coinciding with the unveiling of this unique live set is the release of Jeff Mills' 'Sight, Sound and Space' compilation. This next installment in his 'The Director’s Cut' series sees the Detroit icon dive deep into his own catalogue to hand pick tracks that epitomize his feelings on sight, sound and space. Now his deep-seated thoughts about these concepts will be sonically explained through this massive compilation.
Read this next: 10 iconic Jeff Mills moments
'Sight, Sound and Space' will be released on October 4 via Jeff Mills' own Axis label. Purchase here
Watch Jeff Mills live from Washington DC below.
CD 1: Sight - A compilation of selected tracks that refer to compositions created for films, moving images or inspired watching something.
1. Perfecture – taken from “Metropolis” CD
2. Deckard – taken from “Blade Runner” EP
3. Le Mer Et C’est Un Caractere - taken from “Sequence” CD
4. Homing Device – taken from “2087” CD album
5. The Never Ending Study – taken from “Etudes Sur Paris” album
6. The Drive Home - taken from “Woman In The Moon”
7. Parallelism In Fate - taken from “And Then There Was Light” film soundtrack
8. Devices taken from “At First Sight “ CD
9. Transformation B (Rotwang’s Revenge) – taken from “Metropolis” CD album
10. Sleepy Time – taken from “Trip To The Moon” CD album
11. Multi-Dimensional – taken from “Man From Tomorrow” film soundtrack
12. Descending Eiffel Stairs – taken from “The Crazy Ray” film soundtrack
CD 2: Sound - A compilation of selected tracks that have a unique and specific type of sound to them.
1. The Hunter - taken from “Free Fall Galaxy” Album.
2. The Bells
4. The 25th Hour - unreleased
6. Spiral Galaxy
7. Microbe - taken from “The Power” CD
8. Jade - taken from “Every Dog Has Its Day Vol. 2”
9. Where The Shadows Have Motives – taken from the Rembrandt Experience soundtrack.
10. Flying Machines - taken from “Sequence” CD compilation
11. Compression-Release – taken from “Emerging Crystal Universe”
12. Into The Body – taken from “Fantastic Voyage” Soundtrack
13. The Resolution - taken from “Actual” 12” EP (2)
14. Spiral Therapy – taken from “The Power” CD
Booket: And - This epic compilation contains a large booklet of 50 pages in which Jeff Mills wrote his own commentaries and stories behind each tracks he carefully selected.
CD 3: Space - A compilation of selected tracks that are related to Outer or Inner Space, Space Travel and or any celestial body or life form or entity.
1. Introduction – Phase 1-3 taken from “Fantastic Voyage” soundtrack
2. Mercury (Residue Mix) - Unreleased – taken from “Planets” CD
5. The Industry Of Dreams – taken from “The Messenger” CD
6. Stabilizing The Spin – taken from “Moon: The Area Of Influence” CD
8. Planet X – taken from “Lost In Space” 12” EP
9. The Worker’s Party – taken from Gamma Player Compilation “Niteroi’ collaboration project
10. Daphnis (Keeler’s Gap) – taken from “X-102 Re-discovers The Rings Of Saturn”
11. Outer Space – Unreleased
13. Self-Portrait taken from “One Man Spaceship” CD
14. Aitken Basin – taken from “The Messenger” CD
15. Deadly Rays (Of A Hot White Sun) – taken from “Where Light Ends” CD
16. Medians – taken from “Free Fall Galaxy” album
Read this next: Get the best of Mixmag direct to your Facebook DMs