Travis Scott will pay for the funerals of those who died at Astroworld - News - Mixmag
Search Menu
Home Latest News Menu
News

Travis Scott will pay for the funerals of those who died at Astroworld

Organisers revealed all attendees will have their tickets refunded

  • Gemma Ross
  • 9 November 2021
Travis Scott will pay for the funerals of those who died at Astroworld

Travis Scott has announced that he will cover the funeral costs of all eight Astroworld victims.

On November 5, a crowd crush at Scott's Astroworld Festival in Houston, Texas, caused the death of eight people and injured handfuls more after a large portion of the 50,000-strong crowd surged to the main stage.

According to The New York Times, all victims were between the ages of 14 and 27, while a nine-year-old boy is now in an induced coma. Scott said that he’s working with victims’ families to help them through this time.

Read this next: Travis Scott issues statement following tragedy at Astroworld Festival in Texas

The Texas-born musician yesterday announced that he would be partnering with BetterHelp, a online counselling service, to offer a month of free therapy for those affected. He also added that he would be issuing refunds to every person who attended the festival.

Variety reported that Travis is “too distraught to play” this weekend’s Day N Vegas Festival, thus cancelling his appearance. “My fans really mean the world to me… we’ve been working closely with everyone to just get to the bottom of this,” he said on an Instagram story on Sunday.

14 lawsuits have been filed so far against the festival, Live Nation, and Travis Scott. Amongst those, Houston resident Manuel Souza who was injured is asking for $1 million in damages. The rapper nor Live Nation have yet to respond to the lawsuits.

Read this next: Astroworld attendee is suing Travis Scott and Live Nation over injuries

Drake, who performed on stage with Scott during the set, released a statement on Instagram, reading: “I’ve spent the past few days trying to wrap my mind around this devastating tragedy.”

“My heart is broken for the families and friends of those who lost their lives and for anyone who is suffering. I will continue to pray for all of them and will be of service in any way I can. May God be with you all,” he said.

Gemma Ross is Mixmag's Digital Intern, follow her on Twitter

Load the next article
Loading...
Loading...