A selection of parties at The Coronet have been cancelled after clashes between ravers and police.
Officers had to barricade the entrance of the south London nightspot last Sunday as a reported 250 people tried to get in to the LIT London event playing house, hip hop and bashment. The party was then evacuated and one picture (below) shows hundreds of people on the street.
As a result of the incident, which is said to have included missiles being thrown at police, an emergency licensing review of the venue was ordered and took place yesterday (July 6).
Southwark Council told The Coronet it could remain open, ahead of a full review at the end of the month, but under the condition that three forthcoming parties and any nights promoted by two DJs were scrapped.
Project X is one of the events and its organisers posted a statement on social media announcing the cancellation.
"Due to a police incident that occurred last week at the Coronet, we have been informed at short notice by the police and the venue that Project X can no longer take place on July 7.The venue has decided to no longer take on urban music events until further notice.
“This is totally beyond our control, and as we were made aware at short notice, we were unable to relocate.”
The other parties cancelled are Dancehall vs Soca, due to take place on July 22, and PJ and Lingerie which was scheduled to take place on July 29.
[Via: Evening Standard]
Dave Turner is Mixmag's Digital News Editor, follow him on Twitter