Three Melbourne deaths attributed to dangerous batch of 'MDMA' - News - Mixmag
Search Menu
Home Latest News Menu

Three Melbourne deaths attributed to dangerous batch of 'MDMA'

Revolver has issued a warning to clubbers amid up to 20 hospitalisations

  • Scott Carbines
  • 16 January 2017

A dangerous batch of drugs sold as MDMA has been linked to three deaths in Melbourne.

Up to 20 people were hospitalised after taking what they believed to be MDMA around the city's Chapel St precinct, where Revolver is located, and a 30-year-old man died in the suburb of Elwood at the weekend.

The Herald Sun now reports police have told a court they believe there have been three deaths attributed to the batch.

A 30-year-old man was arrested and charged with possessing MDMA and the proceeds of crime after the police were tipped off by staff at a Chapel St venue.

Police told court on Monday they could only link the man to one non-fatal incident.

Detective Senior Sergeant David Newman told the Herald Sun patients were presented at hospital suffering hallucinations, extreme aggression and seizures.

A 17-year-old boy is in a critical but stable condition after ingesting the substance.

Revolver has issued a warning to clubbers about a dangerous batch of synthetic drugs being sold in the city.

"To all our followers, We’re aware that there are particularly dangerous synthetic drugs circulating in Melbourne. Synthetic drugs can cause unpredictable reactions provoking violent and paranoid states. Please take care and don’t put anything in your system if you don’t know what it is. Look after yourselves and each other," the club posted to Facebook on Saturday night.

Australian Greens leader Richard Di Natale posted to Facebook on Monday: "We need a new approach when it comes to dealing with illicit drugs and reducing the harm they cause. Persisting with failing policies is not the answer."

The political party supports a harm minimisation approach to drugs.

Police are investigating whether it was potency or a toxic cutting agent that led to the deaths and hospitalisations, according to reports.

It is not clear whether the batch was sold in crystal or pill form.

Scott Carbines is Mixmag's Australian Digital Content Editor, follow him on Twitter

[Via: Herald Sun]

Load the next article