In plans chalked out by Italy’s new far-right government earlier this year under Article 633 bis, unlicensed raves in unoccupied buildings or fields could be criminalised and see organisers land up to six years in jail.
Thousands of people from cities including Rome, Turin, Bologna, Naples, Palermo, and Florence took to the streets on Saturday, December 17, to protest against new anti-rave legislations, creating the hashtag #smashrepression on social media to stand against forthcoming laws.
The new bill could be put in place by the end of December if passed through the government, an act that would also allow organisers to be wiretapped and pursued by police if thought suspicious.
Speaking to Resident Advisor, Santano Viperillo, who runs events at Naples club Duel, said: “It's important to take a stand against this legislation and make sure the voice of the rave community and all other underground music communities is heard loud and clear.”
"We want a return to normality that allows us to have a nightlife without fear of oppression,” he added. In cities across both Italy and France, soundsystem crews also took to the streets to fight for rave culture.
"Our network is growing–already there were around 50,000 people on the streets on Saturday," an anonymous protestor told RA.
“So we will let our government know that this isn't just about raves, but about repression of our rights. We know how we can continue to demonstrate. We're gonna be their nightmare."
New restrictions were announced after a 48-hour party took place in an abandoned warehouse in Northern Italy over Halloween weekend. The event was shut down by police, music equipment worth an estimated €150,000 was seized, and 14 people were placed under investigation.
[Via Resident Advisor]
Gemma Ross is Mixmag's Editorial Assistant, follow her on Twitter