The University of Sheffield’s Student Union has announced it is tightening security on campus and will implement sniffer dogs and ID scanners in an attempt to prevent more drug-related incidents.
This follows the death of a 22-year-old female student who died after taking something sold as MDMA at The Tuesday Club at The Foundry in the University of Sheffield’s SU, according to Forge Press.
A witness who was with the young woman when she ingested the MDMA said the drug smelled like hydrochloric acid.
The university released a statement saying it is deeply saddened by the tragedy and are committed to the safety of its students.
“Keeping students safe and well is our first priority and the Sheffield Students' Union has advanced security provision, policies and safety plans in place that are regularly reviewed. The licence review hearing concluded with Cllr David Barker outlining how Sheffield Students’ Union is a ‘beacon of good practice’ for safety – operating at a standard to which other venues in Sheffield should aspire.”
The deceased 22-year-old student named Joana Burns had recently earned a degree in mathematics at Sheffield Hallam University.