London nightclub evacuated after sparklers light dancefloor - News - Mixmag
Search Menu
Home Latest News Menu
News

London nightclub evacuated after sparklers light dancefloor

One person was taken to hospital and four others were treated for smoke inhalation

  • Gemma Ross | Photo: The Little Orange Door
  • 13 April 2022
London nightclub evacuated after sparklers light dancefloor

Tens of clubbers fled a fire on the dancefloor of Clapham’s Little Orange Door bar over the weekend when a sparkler lit the floor ablaze.

London Fire Brigade have since stated that around 60 clubgoers escaped the fire on Sunday morning, April 10, shortly after it broke out.

In the early hours of the morning, sparklers were lit in the southwest London bar as clubbers took to the dancefloor and sang along to Katy Perry’s ‘Firework’. Subsequently, one of the sparklers lit the club’s floor ablaze.

Four firefighters and around 25 firefighters were called to the scene shortly after the blaze broke out, and clubgoers scrambled to reach the doors.

Read this next: New York club Rash set ablaze in suspected arson attack

Footage taken at the scene shows the fire on the dancefloor as people screamed and ran to safety. In the process, multiple people suffered bruises, burns and cuts as they scrambled to the door.

Four people were treated for smoke inhalation after the incident, and one person has been placed in hospital.

One clubgoer celebrating her 26th birthday with a group of 30 friends, told The Independent: “I thought if anyone dies it’s my fault they’re here.”

“There was smoke everywhere and fire started coming across the ceiling. Everyone was in shock. I started running and people stampeded to try and get out.”

Around 60 people left the building in a bottleneck through the club’s entrance and exit, before firefighters arrived at the venue near Clapham Common shortly after midnight.

Read this next: New York's Nova Civic club "significantly damaged" in fire

A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade said that the accidental blaze “involved an indoor firework”. The fire was under control within an hour.

“We are devastated to say that there was a fire at The Little Orange Door on Saturday evening,” the bar-turned-club announced on Instagram on Monday.

“First and foremost: we are incredibly relieved that no one was seriously injured and that it was contained quickly. To all those in attendance: we are truly sorry. We are taking this incredibly seriously and understand how scary it must have been.”

“We will take every step necessary to make sure this never happens again,” they said, adding that they are currently conducting a “thorough investigation”.

Gemma Ross is Mixmag's Editorial Assistant, follow her on Twitter

Load the next article
Newsletter 2

Mixmag will use the information you provide to send you the Mixmag newsletter using Mailchimp as our marketing platform. You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us. By clicking sign me up you agree that we may process your information in accordance with our privacy policy. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.

Loading...
Loading...
Newsletter 2

Mixmag will use the information you provide to send you the Mixmag newsletter using Mailchimp as our marketing platform. You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us. By clicking sign me up you agree that we may process your information in accordance with our privacy policy. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.