DJ Sliink is arguably the best-known New Jersey Club artist in the world.
That's not to throw shade on the originators of the 15-year-old sound or to ignore the new breed of NJ producers who are turning out their own signature styles and playing gigs across the world. But there's no denying that, ever since Sliink's 'Vibrate' blew up in 2012 and became a ubiquitous club banger, he's become synonymous with the genre and something of a figurehead for it.
Right now, the 24-year-old has releases on Body High, Fool's Gold and Fade To Mind to his name and gets called up by big players like O. T. Genesis, Theophilus London and Chromeo for official remix work. He's been blessed by OG Jersey Club crew Brick Bandits and is currently helming his own squad, Cartel Nation. Fans include Diplo, Salva and just about anyone with an ear for lively party music that bangs hard and is guaranteed to get a dancefloor bubblin'.
No wonder then that his next EP will land on one of the feistiest imprints in North America, OWSLA. "Sliink has been pushing the sound of Jersey Club for years," label founder Skrillex told Mixmag. "We want to push this sound out to the world."
Early SoundCloud uploads show Sliink sticking close to the hard 'n fast Jersey Club template: machine gun-esque percussion, incessant bed squeaks, freaky vocal samples, libidinal bass bumps and, overall, a raw sonic aesthetic. But the release of the 'Vibrate' EP on Body High (and that title track) saw Sliink step up a gear. Tracks like 'Whine For Me' and 'Put Cha Back In It' the cleanest and most defined club tracks he'd ever made, while 'Emergency' and 'Reasons' introduced the New Jersey sound to elements sourced straight from the big rooms of America, spraying piercing neon squalls all over those trademark hammering drums. Sliink was ready to take things beyond state lines.
Bootlegs are a key part of Jersey Club culture and Sliink set about making a slew of internet-slaying remixes, proving that the sound could accompany rap and r'n'b stars like Rihanna, Jeremih and Missy Elliot to devastating effect. He also put together a proper statement of intent in the form of a mix for Diplo's BBC 1Xtra radio show and showed off his trap-leaning side by collaborating on an EP with Chicago duo Flosstradamus.
Most recently his remixing work has continued thick and fast, putting his spin on everything from Skillex and Boys Noize's Dog Blood project to American star Trey Songz to fellow Jersey producer Nadus' scene hit 'Nxwxrk'. And as we told you, he's busy prepping an EP for OWSLA, which will no doubt push things forward once again for the Jersey man.
Here, he's put together an In Session mix that is full of tracks straight from the heart of one of the most colourful and exhilarating genres in dance music. This one's full of NJ heads, on-point rap remixes (watch for the Kanye edits!) and killer party jams. Bump it loud.
1. NO ID
2. Nadus - Nxwxrk [Sliink Remix]
3. Nadus - Nxwxrk [Moduloktopus Remix]
4. Dougie F & Dj Fire - Back Up On It [ESENTRIK RMX] [FT MARK JOHNS]
5. Dougie F & Dj Fire - Back Up On It
6. Tr!cks x CHLO - Lov3
7. Cashmere Cat Ft Ariana Grande - Adore [Gutta Remix]
8. Ariana Grande Ft Cashmere Cat - Be My Baby [ Sliink Remix]
9. Jodeci - Freak n You
10. Kanye West - Wolves (Callosum Club Edit) [Sliink Edit]
11. Kanye West - All Day [Sliink x Tim Dolla Remix]
12. Manolo Rose - Run Ricky Run - [Sliink x Nadus Remix]
13. Jay Z - I'm Ill [Jayhood x Fresh Remix]
14. NO ID
15. Lloyd - Lay It Down [Sliink Remix]
16. Kanye West - Power [Sliink Remix]
17. Cashhmere Cat x Dj Mustard - Ice Rink [Gutta Remix]
18. Chris Brown - Freeze [Sliink Remix]
19. R.Kelly Ft Keri Hilson - Number One [Sliink Remix]
20. Dj Tray x Sliink - Elevator
21. Empire Of The Sun - Walking On A Dream [Sliink Remix]
22. Sliink - 6th Ward Dumaine
23. Miguel - Sure Thing [Sliink Remix]
24. NO ID
25. Fetty Wap - Trap Queen
26. Fetty Wap - Trap Queen [Sliink x Lido x Big O Remix]
27. Kendrick Lamar - MAAD City [Eprom Remix]
28. TNGHT - Acrylics
29. NO ID
30. NO ID
31. OT Genisis - CoCo [Sliink x Big O Remix]
32. MikeQ & Sinjin Hawke - ThunderScan
KiNK and Hodge to appear on 'Mothership' compilation
The project marks the first collaboration between Midnight Shift and Voitax
Kassa Overall has dropped his first single on Brownswood, 'I Know You See Me'
A full project is slated to land on Brownswood next year